People wear wigs for a variety of reasons, including hair loss, religious mandate or aesthetic preference. So the wigs are the necessities for women. There are a lot of wig hair companies for you to choose from. Besides, there are many factors to buy the right wig.
For the first time wig wearers, the process of purchasing a wig can seem daunting, if you simply want a new look, this buying guide will help you to choose the best wig for you.
Which Hair Type Do You Want?
When considering composition, or how a wig is structured, think about the hair type is also very important.
- Offers the most natural look & feel
- Presents the most styling versatility
- Requires more styling - especially after washing
- Very durable - can last over a year with proper care
Premium & Remy Human Hair:
- The highest quality human hair available
- Hair cuticles kept running in uniform direction resulting in less tangling
- More careful collecting and processing techniques result in higher quality product and contribute to higher price
- Always unprocessed and untouched by chemicals
- No dyes, perms, bleaches or relaxers have been used to modify the chemical structure in any way
- Virgin human hair wigs and half wigs are usually Remy, but while Remy human hair wigs can be virgin, they don’t have to be
- Almost always chemically treated
- Hair with no cuticle is much easier to color—but non-Remy wigs can be prone to damage, don’t hold color as well, and won’t last as long
- Non-Remy wigs and toppers are ideal for people who like to change their style often
- Higher quality synthetic hair offer a look and feel quite similar to human hair
- Offers limited styling versatility (hot tools cannot be used)
- Requires little maintenance & can usually be worn right out of the box
- Less durable than human hair — 4-6 months with proper care
Heat Friendly Synthetic Hair
- Offers more styling versatility (hot tools may be used - max 350°)
- Can be more challenging to style than human hair
- Special care must be taken to avoid tangling
- Less durable than regular synthetic hair — 2-3 months with proper care*
Questions To Consider When Choosing A Wig
Here are the 7 factors you should consider that go into finding the perfect wig to achieve a more beautiful you:
- Wig Type
- Cap Size
- Cap Construction
- Face Shape
- Hair Length
- Hair Color
- Hair Texture
What Type of Wig Do You Need?
Lace Front Wig: Create the look of natural hair with a lace front wig. Lace fronts give a look of natural hair growth along the front hairline. This adds to the natural realistic appearance even when hair is styled away from the face. Hairs are individually hand-tied to a fine sheer fabric that gives the realistic appearance of your own skin and hair.
Full Lace Wig: Full wigs provide the most coverage and will cover the entire top of your head or all of your natural hair. Anyone can wear a full wig, but they are usually recommended for those with substantial or total hair loss, or those who want to cover all of their natural hair to completely change their hair’s appearance. Wigs can clip to your existing hair or they can be worn with a wig cap or grip underneath to keep them securely in place. They are usually the most expensive wig option.
360 Lace Wigs: 360 lace front wig has a pre-plucked hairline for a more realistic look when worn. Bigger parting space also will give a realistic look. 360 lace around coverage that suits best for ponytails and updo styles. It will give you that full and thick appearance because of the 360 closure bundle. It is a good choice in summer.
Short Bob Wig: Bob wig has its own edges and the haircut makes you look bold and independent. Not like long wavy hair, short bob wig gives you a sense of romance and sweetness. Just step out of your comfort zone and make a change for this summer.
What Cap Size Should You Buy?
Most adult wigs come in standard sizes for men or for women based on average adult head sizes. If you have a smaller or larger head, you can purchase a smaller or larger wig for your needs.
While average size wigs tend to fit about 95% of customers, you will find that quite a few wigs also come in petite and large sizes. Consider that many also have adjustable straps that give up to 1/2" so that you can achieve a comfortable and secure fit.
To determine the right size wig for you, measure the circumference of your head from the front hairline, behind your ear, to the nape of your neck, to your other ear and then back to the front hairline.
Please note that sizes may vary slightly by brand and that not all wigs are available in all cap sizes.
Which Cap Construction Should You Choose?
Different cap constructions each have a different method of attaching hair to the cap, and each has its own set of advantages.
- Creates the most natural movement as each hair moves freely
- Each hair on the entire cap is hand-tied onto the base
- The softest and most comfortable cap, it's ideal for a sensitive scalp & hair loss
- Allows for styling versatility as you can comb the hair in any direction
- Also known as 100% hand-knotted
- Creates the illusion of natural hair growth from the scalp where the hair is parted
- Each hair is individually hand-tied to a sheer base (but not entire cap)
- Can be found just at the crown, along a pre-defined part or across the full top
- A full mono top allows for parting & styling versatility
- A double mono has an extra layer of soft material for added comfort
- Creates the illusion of a natural-looking front hairline
- Each hair is individually hand-tied to a section of sheer lace (but not entire cap)
- Allows for styling hair away from the face
- Most are ready-to-wear & temple-to-temple
- Made with a delicate material that should be handled with care
- Includes both capless and traditional constructions
- Most durable & affordable
- Most of all of the cap have open wefting for better air ventilation
- Often gives the hair a natural lift with built-in volume at the crown
- Hair is pre-teased at the root to help mask the cap beneath
What Shape Is Your Face?
When you have your measurements, use them to help determine what your face shape is. The most common shapes include:
Heart-shaped: Wider at the forehead, narrower at the chin.
Round: Width of forehead and cheeks are the same, giving cheeks a fuller appearance.
Square: Face is the same width and length, with the more angular jawline.
Oval: Face is longer than it is wide.
Oblong/Rectangular: Face is long at the sides with the forehead and a lower face appears to be the same shape.
Diamond: The widest part of the face is at cheekbones with forehead and jawline being the same width.
Once you've determined your face shape, it will be easier for you to determine the best hairstyle for your face shape so you can purchase the perfect wig.
Which Hair Length Do You Prefer?
There are 3 main lengths to choose from:
Medium Length Wigs
Short wigs are admittedly better for more humid areas or if you feel that your body is always hot. The longer the wig (just like the longer your hair) the more heat will be trapped and the warmer you might feel throughout the day. Also, short wigs are a bit easier to maintain, dry faster, are quicker to style and can cost less.
But the choice is yours, don’t let money get in the way of achieving the look you want.
Which Hair Wig Color Is Right For You?
You can choose a wig in nearly any natural hair color, including shades of black, brown, blonde, red and gray and also in several designers modern shades like lilac or blue-black. Natural human hair wigs are most commonly made from black or dark brown hair that is stripped of its color and dyed, so there may be some color fading over time.
Keep in mind that your wig will look most natural if you choose one in your natural shade and texture. If you have naturally curly, red hair, a curly, red wig will appear more natural than a straight, black one.
Which Hair Wig Texture is Best For You?
Straight Hair Wig
For that sleek, fierce look that requires minimal effort, virgin straight hair wig may be your go-to style. Known for its smooth texture with no-curl, wave, or kink, this look can be rocked during the day or at night.
Body Wave Hair Wig
Body wave hairstyles give your hair an effortless, full appearance. These loose waves mimic the pattern of a wave rather than a tight roll. If this is the texture that seems to fit your lifestyle, keep in mind that the waves can straighten out after many washes.
Curly Hair Wig
A curly wig look will let your hair take the spotlight. Tight, show-stopping curls give you volume and allow you to show off your bold style to those around you.
Deep Wave Hair Wig
A deep wave hair look screams confidence with smooth spiral waves. With less shine than water waves, these tight curls give off a full, healthy appearance.
Water Wave Hair Wig
The water wave hair wig look is perfect for any occasion, from the office to tropical vacations. These curls give you shine and volume to keep you and your hair center stage.
Who Might Purchase A Hair Wig?
People Who Want A New Look
While celebrities have popularized wigs worn for fashion, this trend is not new; people around the world have worn wigs for fashion reasons for centuries. Both men and women can enjoy the aesthetic benefits of wigs. A wig is a quick and easy way to try out a new look or even dress up in a costume.
Women Who Want Styling Convenience
Many women wear wigs specifically because they are more convenient to style. A wig can often be “set” in a style that will last for days or even weeks. Some women keep several wigs and alternate which they wear on a given day, which makes getting ready in the morning much quicker.
People With Medical Hair Loss
Men, women and children who have lost all or part of their hair due to chemotherapy, alopecia or other health-related conditions often use wigs to provide natural-looking hair.
People with hair Loss
Men and women who experience hair thinning or baldness often use wigs to help restore a look they are more comfortable with.
FAQS About Human Hair Wigs
What Kind of Wig Looks Most Natural?
Human hair wigs look the most natural because they’re made from real hair. However, they also require more maintenance to keep up their natural look. Human hair wigs require regular styling, just like you would style your own hair.
What Is the Best Density For a Wig?
We have 130% 150% 180% density human hair wigs. Standard, medium-density wigs usually have about 150% density, which gives them a natural look. Depending on your individual profile and styling preferences, you may choose a lower or higher density for lighter or thicker hair.
Do Hairpieces Cause Hair Loss?
No, a hairpiece that fits correctly won’t cause hair loss as long as you continue to take good care of your natural hair.
Can Wigs Look Natural?
Yes, although how natural your wig looks depends on its construction, coloring, placement and styling. The most natural-looking wigs have features like a lace front and 360 lace wig top to create a real-looking hairline and make it appear like the hair is growing out of your scalp.
How Do I Choose a Wig?
Choose a wig based on your desired hairstyle, coloring, length, texture, budget and capsize. Your lifestyle, including how much time you have for wig care and your activity level, are also factors to consider when choosing a wig.
Is It Okay To Wear a Wig Every Day?
Yes, and many people do! Just make sure you follow instructions for proper wig care, including cleaning it with the right shampoo and conditioner. You should also remove your wig before sleeping and safely store it when you’re not wearing it.
When deciding which wig will provide the most natural-looking style, there are several factors to take into consideration. The last thing we want is a wig that is too tight, feels uncomfortable, causes chafing, or slips off the head because it does not fit correctly. We hope you’ll use this wig buyers' guide to learn more about the fun process of discovering the best wig for your needs and desired look.
All in all, you’re going to love the way you look in your new wig, and the more you know about the different options, the easier it will be for you to make the best choice.